A client recently asked me for some tips on maintaining healthy eating while camping, and I came up with a few ideas for her. I personally am not a camper, but I do plan meals for the cabin every summer, and while I have a full-size kitchen to work with, I too look for meals that can double as both healthy AND easy.
First of all, just because you’re camping doesn’t mean that you have to throw all your healthy eating out the window. In fact, what you’re eating doesn’t have to change that much, as long as you are prepared and willing to do some prep ahead of time.
Some Dinner Ideas:
• Veggie-stuffed quesadillas: You can use any recipe you like, but include some veggies like spinach, bell peppers, tomatoes, and mushrooms. Cook up the filling, let it cool, and then fill your quesadillas, each between a layer of parchment paper; then freeze until ready to be warmed up on a skillet or BBQ!
• Veggie-loaded chili: What a super simple way to eat! This is like a crock-pot meal to go! You can include a lot of veggies (and fiber-rich beans if you like)! Option to add a bun. If you freeze this one before you go too, it will take a while to defrost, doubling up as a helpful way to keep your cooler cold!
• Greek-Style Turkey Burgers: A healthier take on a regular burger, because you can sneak in chopped spinach, feta, and sundried tomatoes! High-quality grass-fed beef is another good idea. Serve with a bun and/or a bagged salad (the ones with the dressing and everything you need inside)
• Pre-made kebabs/skewers: This is another great idea to take on the road. Load up all your skewers ahead of time, and eat with some pre-cooked rice, potatoes or pita. I have a few great combination ideas on my Pinterest page.
(Note that all of these meals include veggies IN the meals. This is a convenient way to ensure you’re eating them without having to prepare and/or cook them separately. Double up dinners so that they can be reheated and served at lunch).
• Fruits! Bananas, Apples, Oranges, Grapes!
• Beef jerky
• Higher-quality bars (like Larabars)
• Homemade granola bars
• Homemade nut and seed mixes
• Homemade muffins
• Homemade energy bites
• My homemade breakfast cookies
• Homemade granola bars
• Overnight Oats
• Breakfast quesadillas (freezer friendly)
• Protein shakes
I created a new Pinterest Board with more ideas, so check it out if you need some inspiration. And if you have a camping meal that you love that is healthy, please pass it along!